Monday, June 13, 2016

THINKING OUT LOUD TODAY



It has been a very long time since I have posted on my blog. I decided to think out loud here today. 
May God bless!
 Let GOD arise,
Let His enemies be scattered;
Let all who hate Him flee before His Holy Face.
~Psalm 67
¡Viva Cristo Rey! ¡Viva la Virgen de Guadalupe!
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I was wondering this morning after my morning prayers which are more important the Corporal Works of Mercy or the Spiritual Works of Mercy. According to many in the Church today there are only the Corporal Works of Mercy that we need to do. I have to say they are the easiest and also the ones that can be seen by others. The Spiritual Works of Mercy you can take a walloping for(speaking from experience).
 
Corporal Works of Mercy:
The seven practices of charity, based on Christ's prediction of the Last Judgment (Matthew 5:3-10) that will determine each person's final destiny.
They are:
1. to feed the hungry
2. to give drink to the thirsty
3. to clothe the naked
4. to shelter the homeless
5. to visit the sick
6. to visit those in prison
7. to bury the dead.

Spiritual Works of Mercy:
The traditional seven forms of Christian charity in favor of the soul or spirit of one's neighbor, in contrast with the corporal works of mercy that minister to people's bodily needs.
They are:
1. converting the sinner
2. instructing the ignorant
3. counseling the doubtful
4. comforting the sorrowful
5. bearing wrongs patiently
6. forgiving injuries
7. praying for the living and the dead.
Their bases are the teaching of Christ and the practice of the Church since apostolic times.

I know which I believe to be most important work of mercy that would be the Spiritual Works for they deal more with the soul which is eternal.

So I continued my day and said my Rosaries and started listening to old Fr. Corapi videos and he made reference to Galatians, which I am not very familiar, so I decided to read chapter 6 and was given an answer to my earlier question (the Holy Ghost is too good to me but I will take anything He gives to me)
Galatians 6:9-10 9And in doing good, let us not fail: for in due time we shall reap, not failing.10 Therefore, whilst we have time, let us do good to all men, but especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Interpretation by the Church:
Ver. 9. Works of mercy are the seed of life everlasting, and the proper cause thereof, and not faith only. Ver. 10. The household of the faith: those who profess the same true faith. (Witham) --- We are more bound to assist Christians than Jews; Catholics than heretics. (St. Jerome, q. 1. ad Hedibim.)

“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops, like bishops, and your religious act like religious.”
~Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, before the Knights of Columbus, June 1972

No comments:

Post a Comment